How to Use & When to Apply:
Use when planting new plants or repotting existing plants. Most African violets benefit from annual repotting.
- Select a container that is larger than the current pot, with a drainage hole at the bottom and a saucer.
- Place a coffee filter or a few small stones at the bottom of the pot to keep soil from leaking out.
- Fill the bottom third of the container with Espoma African Violet Mix.
- Gently remove the plant from its current container and loosen the root ball.
- Place the plant in the new container, centering it and adjusting the soil level in the new pot so the plant is at the same depth as it was in the original container. Ideally, there should be at least 1 inch between the top of the soil and the rim of the pot.
- Add additional potting mix around the sides of the plant.
- Gently pat down the mix, adding more as required, until the plant is at the right depth.
- Water plant thoroughly and allow to drain. Avoid getting water on the leaves, as this may cause water spots.
Pros to Using Espoma African Violet Mix
- Well-draining media reduces root rot
- Blend is specifically formulated for African violets
- Can be used for other houseplants that prefer slightly acidic, well-drained soil
- Adding organic matter to soil improves the quality of the soil, which in turn nourishes the plant
Cons to Using Espoma African Violet Mix
- Largest available size is 4 quarts, so multiple bags may be necessary